Friday, April 23, 2010

Blog Post #11 with Guest Star Rick Warren

This past Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I went to Catalyst West. There were a ton of speakers.

I heard all of these people...

Andy Stanley
Charlene Li
Dallas Willard
Don Miller
Erwin McManus
Eugene Cho
Kay Warren
Louie Giglio
Mark Driscoll
Reggie Joiner
Scott Belsky
Wess Stafford
Chris Tomlin
John Ortberg


And Most of these people…


Susan Isaacs
Tony Wood
Anne Jackson
Carlos Whittaker
Cue Jean Marie
Dan Kimball
Darren Whitehead
Dave Kinnaman
Dino Rizzo

Eric Mason
Eugene Cho
Jeanne Stevens
Jedd Medefind
Jim Belcher
Jon Acuff
Jon Tyson
Scot McKnight
Soong Chan Rah

John Ortberg
Jud Wilhite
Justin Mayo
Leroy Barber
Margaret Feinberg
Mike Foster
Mike Goheen
Michael Hyatt
Lisa Sharon Harper


I'm not offended if you didn't read the whole list, because the point is there were dozens of speakers with lots of wisdom to impart. I thought to myself there will be some great stuff, I'm sure I can have something good for the blog. So let me share with you the number one lesson I learned at Catalyst. (#catwest if you use twitter)






That might not really seem very clear or very important so let me explain it a bit. The guy in the green shirt getting prayed for is Arthur. He is an employee of the bookstore or the cafe to the right of the screen (we are on the Mariners Church campus). He has some observable physical difficulties including speaking troubles, yet he wants to be a Pastor. He is interested in ministry on the internet where that won’t be an issue.


The guy sitting and praying is Rick Warren the Pastor at Saddleback Church; a church of 20,000 + attendees. He is also the author of the "purpose Driven Life" and has sold over 40 million books. I'll be honest, I'm at LEAST a little impressed, and I can only imagine that he is a tad busy.

When Arthur walked by the table he immediate realized who was sitting there and stopped to talk to Rick. I watched them interact the entire time; I knew to keep my eyes on this exchange. Rick never made it seem like he was put out or to busy to speak with someone even though he had been in the middle of lunch. After praying for Arthur, Rick said to him, this is your commissioning. Go and do the things that you dream about, pastor a flock, get an education, don't let anything hold you back.

Even in the midsts of all life's business and a table full of people who wanted to hear from him. Here was a man who was able to see the need of "one" who would have been insignificant to so many.

Later I went over to Rick to say thanks for the lesson. His response was "Go and do likewise"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers